Avocados will be in their glory this Sunday as the Super Bowl meets the Guacamole Bowl. We looked up a few facts and made up some more to test your knowledge about this vegetable.
1. Is it true that the avocado is a vegetable?
1a. If you answered “No” to question No. 1, what exactly is an avocado?
a. It is a fruit.
b. It is a grain.
c. It is a reptile.
2. Everyone knows that millions of pounds of avocados are eaten in the United States on Super Bowl Sunday. About how many million pounds?
a. 2 million
b. 16 million
c. 8 million
3. California grows a number of different varieties of avocados, but the best known and widest selling one is which?
a. The Hass avocado
b. The Haas avocado
c. The Hsaa avocado
d. The Hoss avocado
4. If you gathered all the guacamole made and consumed at Super Bowl parties the nation over, and spread it 20 feet thick to cover a football field, how long would that guacamole smear stretch?
a. 200 miles
b. To the moon
c. It is wrong to spread guacamole on a football field.
d. 100 yards
5. In California, growers and plant geneticists are always experimenting on new and improved avocados. It is estimated that in just 2 years they will have a tree that produces avocados that are pointy on both ends, to resemble a football.
6. In the United States, which day of these festive days is responsible for the most sales of avocados?
a. St. Swithin’s Day
b. Cinco de Mayo
c. Noche de los Rabanos
d. Super Bowl Sunday
7. If you answered “c” on the previous question, Noche de los Rabanos, you may skip the rest of this quiz. Go eat a Twinkie.
8. How can you tell when an avocado is ripe and ready to eat?
a. When the stem tip at the pointy end pops up, like on a turkey.
b. When the flesh surrounding the stem tip becomes soft.
c. When the flesh gives a little when you press the sides of the avocado in your hand.
9. Why are avocados so expensive?
a. They’re not.
b. They don’t last long.
c. I don’t know.
d. All of the above
10. Why do some people put avocado pits in their guacamole?
a. Pits keep the green from turning brown.
b. They think pits keep the green from turning brown.
c. They think pits keep the green from turning brown and they look pretty, too.
11. The main ingredients in a good guacamole always include this one.
a. Cottage cheese
b. Alfalfa sprouts
c. Miracle Whip
e. None of the above
12. What cooking oil has the highest smoke point (temperature when it begins to burn)?
a. olive oil
b. avocado oil
c. grapeseed oil
Answers: 1. b; 2. a; 3. c; 4. a; 5. d; 6. b; 7. n/a; 8. c; 9. d; 10. b; 11. e; 12. b.
For the recipe for Bonnie’s Guacamole, click here.