Categorized | Blogs

Griffin to Go: A Misguided Guide to Breakfast Tacos

Print Friendly

Poor John T. Edge.

The food writer who has headed up the Southern Foodways Alliance has issued a pronunciamento so misguided that he must have made it with a foot shoved halfway down his throat.

In the Wednesday New York Times, Edge has an article on breakfast tacos in which he declares, “When it comes to breakfast tacos, … Austin trumps all other American cities.”

And he seems to base his argument on the fact that he was able to find breakfast tacos at a few different places across the city.

If he would come to San Antonio, he would obviously find breakfast tacos on most every street corner, many with handmade corn and flour tortillas as well as exceptional salsas and fillings.

But that doesn’t seem to be on his agenda or the New York Times’. In the mind of many at the Gray Lady of American journalism, San Antonio doesn’t exist. (One other example of this comes from the fact that another writer for the paper, Jayson Blair, felt he could plagiarize an article from a local publication and no one would know it.)

Both are interested in Austin only because the hipoisie are gathering for South by Southwest, and minor attention must be paid to the quaint customs of the area during that time.

Obviously I disagree with Edge’s assessment. But what do you think? Is Edge right? Is Austin the breakfast taco capital of the U.S.? Where in Austin can you find a breakfast taco that outshines San Antonio’s best? Please, post your answers below.

Be Sociable, Share!
Be Sociable, Share!

11 Responses to “Griffin to Go: A Misguided Guide to Breakfast Tacos”

1. hcfresh says:

Thank Goodness someone put this in words. I read the article myself and could not believe that anyone could declare Austin as a taco capital in any category, much less breakfast tacos.

Austin is a great city with great music and a great food scene. But, let’s be honest, San Antonio IS Tex-Mex.

2. Heather says:

Read this article this morning and wept with sadness…not ALL breakfast tacos are on flour tortillas…au contraire, my favorite is served on corn. And I only eat corn tortillas, and only homemade corn tortillas.

There’s a bevy of great dives to pick these up all over town. And I do agree that we started the breakfast taco thing way before Austin even knew how to say breakfast tacos…so there, Mr. Edge.

3. Optimistic Heathen says:

Sounds like we need to complete an SA Taco roundup for publication…

4. jenni says:

A shocking oversight. San Antonio’s waistlines are proof enough that our greasy morning fare is better than Austin’s.

5. Ben says:

Reminds me of an episode with Julia Surgarbaker, “Let them eat dirt!”

6. Cecil Flentge says:

The article was sad. Indicative of why the NYT is having financial problems while sitting in the middle of one of the biggest markets in the world. I mean, it was in New York City that a guy set up the first coin operated candy dispenser – without any candy in it – put a sign on it that said, “Put in a penny and listen to the wind blow.” And he made money on it! The ‘gray lady’ is looking ill indeed!

7. I agree with Jenni! Incredible barbacoa and chorizo breakfast tacos contribute to many local waistlines! Delicious!

8. Valerie says:

I’m a San Antonio native, but have lived in Austin for 23 years. Juan in a Million and Mi Madre’s have good breakfast tacos, but there’s no Mexican food in Austin that’s as good as the Mexican food in San Antonio.

9. Miranda says:

I try not to get upset about things like this but Austin’s Tex-Mex in general isn’t all the great. I think you’re right that it was all done in preperation for SXSW but c’mon! Even if the didn’t choose SA, the Rio Grande Valley or over to Corpus Christi would have been better. Whatever, what do a bunch of Yankees know?

10. Sue says:

I’m thinking that the NYT writer was in Austin for SxSW and found tacos. But finding tacos in SA is rather like finding bagels in NY, doncha think?

11. Erich says:

I think the tacos and mexican food in general gets better the further south you go. San Antonio is definitely better than Austin. But the best mexican food and tacos in Texas can be found in the Rio Grande Valley.