September wine dinners at Las Canarias, Ostra
Two River Walk restaurants, Las Canarias at the La Mansion del Rio and Ostra, at the Mokara Hotel & Spa, will be offering wine dinners in September. Las Canarias features wines from Far Niente Winery and Ostra will showcase Jordan Vineyards. John Brand is executive chef at both restaurants. Both events begin at 7 p.m. Call 210-518-1017 to make reservations for either dinner.
The Far Niente Winery Wine Dinner at Las Canarias is Sept. 22. The price is $125 per person. Las Canarias is at 112 College Street.
On the menu: East Coast Fluke, Avocado Oil, Bella Verdi Greens and Citrus w/Far Niente Chardonnay; Hudson Valley Duck Liver and Prosciutto Roulade, Pickled Cherries, Duck Confit Palmiers w/En Route Pinot Noir; Third Course: Peeler Farms Egg Ravioli, Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Smoked Scamorza, Local Oxtail and Short Rib Stew w/Far Niente Cabernet; Culotte of Waygu Beef, Heirloom Carrot Ribbons, Mille-feuille of Gold Potato, Kabocha Pumpkin, Marrow, Marjoram Gremolata w/Nickel & Nickel State Ranch Cabernet and Sullenger Cabernet: Dessert is Cooper Farms Peach and Brown Butter Tart, Pure Luck Sainte Maure and Blue Heron Cajeta/w Dolce by Far Niente.
On Sept. 23, Ostra, 212 W. Crockett St., will feature Jordan Vineyards. This wine and food event will be $100 per person. On the menu: Passed hors d’oeuvres; Green Apple Carpaccio, Pure Luck Chevre, Marcona Almonds, Gold Beets, Watercress; Hawaiian Kona Kampachi Crudo, Grapefruit, Amaranth and Bottarga Aioli w/2009 Chardonnay; Strube Ranch Waygu Beef Flatiron, Engle Farms Squash Gnocchi, Spinach, Caper and Sage Beurre Noir w/2002-2004 Cabernet; Valrhona Equatorial Chocolate Mousse, Jivara Pot de Crème and Cocoa Nibs, Roasted Cherries, Red Velvet Sponge Cake w/ 2007 Cabernet.
Rather Sweet Bakery, Rebecca Rather’s bakery at 249 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, will be closed for the month of September, according a posting on Facebook. Rather will reopen Oct. 1.
Louis Halfant doing fine dining in Boerne
Chef Louis Halfant, San Antonio chef and former chef/owner of Eclipse, on Northwest Military Highway, is now chef at the Limestone Grill in Boerne. The fine dining restaurant is in the historic Ye Kendall Inn, 128 W. Blanco St.
Support arts’ à la carte on Sept. 27
On Sept. 27, the Artist Foundation of San Antonio will stage a one-day event at area restaurants called arts’ à la carte. Proceeds will assist the Artist Foundation to continue its mission, which is “to enrich our artistic and economic fabric by providing monetary awards to individual artists, across diverse disciplines, thereby advancing their creative enterprise and the arts in our community.”
The participating restaurants and their specials include:
- Aldaco’s (Stone Oak), 20 percent off food only, 3-9 p.m.
- Bharmacy, 20 percent off food and drinks,all day
- Patty Lou’s, 20 percent of food and drinks, all day
- Bistro Vatel 20 percent off food & drinks/all day
- Capparelli’s on Main, 20 percent off food and drinks, dinner only
- Coco Chocolate Lounge, 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- Cool Cafe (Stone Oak), 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- Counter Culture Cafe, 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- The Esquire Tavern, 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- Green Vegetarian Cuisine, 20 percent off food and drinks,dinner only
- Liberty Bar, 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- The Monterey, 25 percent off food and drinks, all day
- Paloma Blanca, 20 percent off food and drinks, lunch only
- Piatti, 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- Twin Sisters (Alamo Heights), 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
- Twin Sisters (Downtown), 20 percent off food and drinks, all day
For more information on the event, click here.
Benihana Restaurant closed, Sumo Japanese to Open
The restaurant at 8342 I-10 W. has closed and will reopen under the new name this week.
SavorSA co-editor John Griffin contributed to this post.