Radishes are in season.
The Quarry Farmers & Ranchers Market is having a Holiday Showcase this Sunday to present a host of gift ideas that you can pick or pre-order.
The market, held in the parking lot of the Quarry Market, 255 E. Basse Road, is also changing its hours this Sunday, the same day we set our clocks back an hour. From now through the summer, the Sunday market will be open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Quarry market is certainly feeding a need within the community. Within five months, it has grown from a dozen booths to 30 every week.
The market structure requires vendors to be local and grow, raise or make their products within a 200-mile radius while not being mass producers.
Among the vendors that show up on a regular basis are those with ready-to-eat products such as organic lemonade, granola, locally roasted coffee, hummus and other spreads, heat-and-eat meals, aguas frescas, paletas, gourmet and everyday baked goods, gluten-free baked goods and tamales. There's even a natural dog food vendor with loyal fans.
Meat lovers can take home grass-fed beef, wild boar, pastured chicken, lamb and pork as well as farm-fresh eggs from happy chickens.
Shoppers stroll to live music and stop to pick up tips at the occasional cooking demonstration or seminar. It’s a vibrant, yet mellow, Sunday morning ritual for many.
Specialty items available through the holidays include:
- Cabbage—green and purple
- Onions—several varieties including red, crystal white and yellow onions
- Carrots—several varieties including little finger and atomic red
- Greens—two kinds of spinach, collard greens, two kinds of mustard greens and turnip greens
- Turnips—purple and white
- 9-inch pies—pecan (with Jack Daniels No. 7 whiskey and a touch of molasses), Dutch apple (4 varieties of apples) and oven-roasted pumpkin
- 10-inch pumpkin cheesecake (made with gingersnap crust and oven-roasted pumpkins)
- Roasted and stuffed turkey with all the trimmings (gravy, dressing, green beans, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce) for parties of 10, 20 or 30
- Assorted pastries
- Pecan, pumpkin and apple pie
- Grapefruit-pistachio tart
- Marvelous chocolate meringue pie
- Thanksgiving and Christmas blends
- Jars of merlot-marjoram mustard, chardonnay-tarragon mustard and homemade mayonnaise
- Organic Blue Cornmeal Pancake and Waffle Mix (gluten-free)
- Sweet fall broccoli
- Greens such as Swiss chard
- Beets, carrots and turnips
- Butternut squash
- Sugar pie pumpkins
- Brussels sprouts
- Radishes Lettuce mix
Fresh broccoli is bursting with flavor.
Good Gluten-Free Foods—all gluten-free holiday offerings
- Pumpkin-apple curried soup
- Cornbread and sausage stuffing
Green Hills Poultry
- Herb stuffing
- Roasted turkey gravy
- Green bean casserole
- Dinner rolls
- Pecan pie (no corn syrup)
- Pumpkin pie
- German apple pie
- Pie crusts
- Turkey-shaped glazed pumpkin pound cakes
Humble House Foods
- Full selection of chickens, cut-up chickens as well as pieces and parts
- Farm-fresh eggs
- Gift set of four assorted gourmet spreads
- Duck leg confit
- Pâté de champagne
- Gift boxes full of dog bones or empanadas
- Hand-braided fleece tug toy or bone
- Gift certificates
- Fall and Christmas wreaths (made with barbed wire or grapevine and a combination of antlers, leaves, ribbons, ornaments, etc., in fall and holiday decor)
- Beribboned mistletoe
- Oak firewood
- Holiday gift sets featuring preserves, honey and jerky
- Uncured fresh wild boar hams
- Lily’s Chicken Ranch farm-fresh eggs
My Father’s Farm
- Southeast Asian spiced nuts
Sol y Luna
- Salad mix in a clamshell container, along with assorted lettuces and Asian greens
- Lettuces in a potted plant
- Beet greens
- Multi-colored radishes
- Spring onions
- Broccoli, broccoli raab and broccoli greens
- Bok choy
- Fresh cut basil and potted herb plants
- Squash and okra
- Greenhouse tomatoes, bell peppers and cucumbers
South Texas Heritage Pork
- Gingerbread muffin
- Cranberry-orange muffin
- Cranberry-walnut-pumpkin bread
- Cranberry-apple coffeecake
- Holiday hams
- Tamales using South Texas Heritage lard and pork
Try some just-picked carrots.
The Gardener’s Feast
- Skin care products using natural farm ingredients including salve with rosemary, lip balms with honey and a variety of goat milk soaps
- Spinach, kale, arugula and beet greens
The Lemonade Co.
- Vacuum-sealed six-packs of assorted tamales
Wholesome Harvest Farm
- Green Machine juice—celery, apples, alfalfa sprouts, parsley, mint leaves
- Fresh pressed carrot, apple and grapefruit juice
- Kidney cleanser—watermelon, cucumber, apple and cranberries
- Cabbage—green and Napa
- Bok choy
- Assorted lettuces including several red leaf varieties as well as frisee, romaine and red oak leaf
- Greens—arugula, spinach, mustard and collards
- Root vegetables—beets, carrots and rutabagas
- Raw peanuts
For information, visit www.quarryfarmersmarket.com
or call 210-722-5077.