If June just isn’t hot enough for you, check out the Second Annual Firefighter Q Off at the Hyatt Regency Hotel on the River Walk, pitting local firefighters making their own best barbecue recipes.
The event is from 2-5:30 p.m. inside the Hyatt Regency at Q on the Riverwalk on June 24. It’s not all about the heat of the challenge, or some good tastes of ‘que — guests will have the opportunity to learn about fire prevention and grilling safety.
As part of the day’s events, Sparky the Firedog will be on hand to share his own recipes for safety. (See Sparky’s tips below.)
Kids can try firefighter helmets, suits and boots on for size and experience fire safety education on an antique fire truck.
The event is free, but there will be raffle ticket sales, as well as sales of limited-edition firefighter Q Off aprons and cookbooks. Sales will benefit the Texas Burn Survivor Society, established in 1962 to provide care, comfort and essential services to the critically burned and their families.
Here’s the schedule:
▪ Firefighter Q Off teams prepare for the barbeque throwdown
▪ Barbecue patrons taste and cast votes for the People’s Choice Award
▪ Antique fire truck tours
▪ Fire safety demonstrations from Sparky and his team along with kid-friendly giveaways
▪ Limited edition Firefighter Q Off apron, cookbook and raffle sales inside Q to benefit the Texas Burn Survivor Society
4-5 p.m. Heat it up Competition:
▪ Firefighter Iron Chef-style competition behind Q’s wall of fire
5-5:30 p.m. Q it off Judging with:
▪ Celebrity judging
▪ Presentation of winning trophy and prizes
▪ Announcement of raffle and additional prize winners
▪ Never use gasoline to start a cooking fire
▪ Keep the grill clear of trees, wooden fences and low-hanging eaves
▪ Never grill on balconies of multistory buildings
▪ Always keep a fire extinguisher or hose nearby
▪ Use cooking utensils with long handles that do not conduct heat
▪ Keep children away from grilling area