Recent studies have shown that the excellent nutritional qualities of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are made even more healthful when you serve them together. So, splurge on the Fourth of July, and get a mix of colorful fruit to play around with.
Red, White and Blueberries
Blueberries, to taste
Whipped cream, to taste
Strawberries, pitted cherries or raspberries, to taste
Layer a few blueberries in the bottom of a parfait glass or serving dish. Cover with whipped cream. Top with red fruit, then whipped cream again and repeat until dish is filled.
Here are 10 more red, white and blue dessert ideas:
- You could use vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt or Greek yogurt instead of the whipped cream. Sweeten the whipped cream with vanilla, almond extract or rum instead of sugar. Don’t macerate the fruit in sugar; let it speak on its own.
- You could marinate the berries in various liqueurs, such as the blueberries in creme de cassis, the cherries or strawberries in kirsch and the raspberries in Chambord. Add a dash or two of cherry bitters.
- Drizzle Italian syrups or a nut-flavored liqueur, such as Frangelico, over the top of the parfait.
- Frost cupcakes or a cake with a white buttercream frosting and sprinkle both blue and red fruit on top. On a cape, you could create an American flag with the fruit or trace outlines of fireworks.
- Suspend blueberries in cherry gelatin and top with whipped cream.
- Warm vanilla ice cream slightly; add in fruit and blend. Refreeze.
- Set up an ice cream sundae bar using vanilla or strawberry ice cream or blueberry gelato. Have blueberries, red fruit, red and blue syrups, white chocolate, coconut, macadamia nuts, marshmallow creme and whipped cream to use as toppings.
- Melt white chocolate or almond bark in a double boiler or microwave. Spread out on waxed paper. Top with coconut, dried blueberries and diced dried cherries. Let set before breaking into bars.
- Whip up a batch of your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough. But don’t use dark chocolate chips, use white chocolate chips, dried blueberries and dried cherries instead.
- Make a patriotic poke cake. Take a white cake, poke it with a toothpick, then drizzle liquid blue gelatin and red gelatin over the top. If you do a double-layer cake, you could color one in blue and the other in red.