La Fonda Alamo Heights, 6402 N. New Braunfels Ave., is getting into a happy holiday mood by toasting the spirits of Texas. From now through Dec. 23, the bar is offering 12 cocktails of Christmas, each using a Texas-made liquor.
“One of our goals when we purchased the restaurant in March was to upgrade the bar,” says owner Hans White. “A big part of that plan included increasing the number of local vendors we carry. We now boast more than 40 Texas-owned spirits.”
Each of the following cocktails is available as the special of the day, starting with the Peppermint Patty today and carrying on through the Candy Cane on Dec. 23.
- The Peppermint Patty combines the smoky taste of Waco’s Balcones Rumble Whiskey with the cool taste of crème de menthe and a dash of lemon juice. It is served shaken and strained over ice.
- A Snowdrift is made with San Antonio’s own Cinco Vodka, Cointreau, crème de cacao, heavy cream, and garnished with white chocolate flakes.
The La Fonda Alamo Heights Premium Margarita features Texas’ own Pura Vida Tequila, Controy and the restaurant’s proprietary margarita mix.
- The Hot Toddy is made with Garrison Brothers Bourbon from the Texas Hill Country. The bar adds local honey from Bo’s Backyard Honey and fresh lemon juice.
- Hide the Pickle plays off the traditional German holiday game. This is a dirty martini variation made with Dripping Springs Vodka and fresh pickle juice.
- The Holiday on Ice features Ranger Creek Bourbon served simply over ice.
- The Three Kings features a trio of Agave De Cortes Mezcal. It begins with the sweet and salty flavors of the Silver Mezcal, followed by the spicy finish of the Reposado con Gusano, and ending with the smoky vanilla taste of the Añejo.
- Merry Christmas features Treaty Oaks’ Waterloo Gin with cranberry juice, lemon juice, club soda and a fresh cranberry garnish.
- The Hot Buttered Rum features Railean Distillery’s American Rum from the Gulf Coast with butter, brown sugar, spices and vanilla.
- The Blue Christmas is more than a tribute to Elvis. It’s a match of Dulce Vida tequila with a splash of pineapple juice, and blue curaçao.
- The Candy Cane combines Deep Eddy Vodka with peppermint schnapps, white crème de cacao, grenadine and half-and-half. It’s garnished with, you guessed it, a candy cane.