William Chris Vineyards in Hye will be throwing a New Year’s Day party next Tuesday, featuring two events, one for cooks and the other for the competitive speed-eater.
Which do you do best? This is your chance to find out, have fun and win prizes — and you can also be a judge!
The party begins late morning, as competitors check in to William Chris Vineyards in Hye. If you’re not competing, you are welcome to join in the festivities, too, of course. www.williamchriswines.com
The Cooking Contest: The Great Hye Black-eyed Pea Cook-off
- $313 grand prize, a trophy, and bragging rights all year to the winning entry. Prizes for places 2-4, and a prize for “worst peas,” too.
- Anyone can enter — no limit to the number of contestants. $25 per entry
- Make sure you cook enough for 200 judges to taste.
- Cooks: Check in and set up between 11 a.m. and noon.
- The winery supplies the electricity; you bring whatever is needed to cook, heat, and serve.
- Download the official rules at this link
- You can be a judge: 200 judging badges are available, first come, first served:
- Hye Society Wine Club Member: $13 for judges badge (limit 5 badges)
- Non-Members: $20 for the judges badge
- Judges receive custom bibs, an all-access pass, taste all entries, and can cast 3 votes for their favorites.
- Judging opens at 1:13 p.m. and ends at 2:13 p.m. Cooks check in at noon.
- To register for the Cooking Contest, click here.
Eating Contest: The Fastest Black-eyed Pea Eater in Texas
- The winner gets a trophy, a bottle of William Chris Vineyards wine, $25, and bragging rights! All contestants are VIP judges for the cook-off too.
- 13 contestants in a speed-eating, chow-down showdown on New Years Day,
- $20.13 per entry. First 13 entries accepted, first come, first served.
- Two minutes to eat as many black-eyed peas as you can, using either a small plastic spoon or a huge soup ladle.
- Contestants check in between 11 a.m. and noon. Contest begins at 12:30 p.m. and ends at 12:32 p.m.
- To register for the Eating Contest, email email@example.com
And there’s more:
Jason Stout returns with Wood Fired Pizza Truck in the Oak Grove.
Live music is from 1-4 p.m. from vocalist Jim Thomas. All tasting rooms are open for this special New Years Day celebration. Reach the winery tasting room at (830) 998-7654, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open: Mon-Wed 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thurs-Sat 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sun 12 pm-5 pm and by appointment.
10352 U.S. 290
Hye, TX 78635 (830) 998-7654