Fiesta runs through April 27. Here are a few food and fun events happening that you can enjoy in between the parades, the Oyster Bake, NIOSA or whatever your favorite event is.
Lily’s Cookies Add Color to Your Fiesta
Lily’s Cookies, 2716 McCullough Ave., is getting into Fiesta in a huge way.
The bakery is offering all sorts of colorful cookies, from sombreros to colorful attire to flowers that you can enjoy throughout Fiesta.
For more information, call 210-832-0886.
Ocho Dishes Up the Fiesta Specials
The Hotel Havana and Ocho, 1015 Navarro St., have gotten into the Fiesta spirit. Guests receive a Fiesta wreath on their doors, while medal collectors can purchase the hotel’s third annual collectible.
Meanwhile, Ocho’s chef Toby Soto has created a special Fiesta menu that includes:
- Pork and Golden Raisin Empanadas with Salsa Roja, $8
- Pollo Verde Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with Mole Negro,$8
- Albondigas de Res with a Smoked Tomato Broth, $8
- Martinated Vegetable Skewers on a bed of Yellow Rice, $8
- Mini Funnel Cakes, $8
Drink specials include:
- Havana Margarita, $5
- Cuban Breeze, $5
- Sangria, $5
- Sol, $4
Art and a Drink at a Great Price at Barriba Cantina
Barriba is again featuring renowned local artist and designer H. Michael Karshis with his Countdown to Fiesta creation.
“Fiesta is the iconic San Antonio event that belongs to visitors and residents alike, so we are teaming with Dulce Vida tequila to offer anyone that brings in a Fiesta medal—old or new—our ‘Skinny Rita’ drink, one of our signature handcrafted drinks, for $3.25 (half off the happy hour price),” says Barriba Cantina general manager Gina Hartbarger. “We are limiting this offer to one discounted drink a day, during Fiesta only (through April 27), but the customer also gets a keeper glass with the recipe on it and a Fiesta-pink Barriba Koozie….what a deal! We will also post the medals on the Fiesta Wall near the Countdown to Fiesta artwork.”
“Fiesta is part Texas, part Mexico—just like Barriba Cantina,” says Karshis. “This installation has been up for a few months and I love it that customers are celebrating birthdays or anniversaries at Barriba and taking photos in front of the countdown.”
For information, call 210-228-9876
Earl Abel’s Goes Global
Earl Abel’s, 1201 Austin Highway, is celebrating Fiesta with a new globally inspired dish every day through April 27. The special will be priced at $9 and will be available for both lunch and dinner. Here are a few of the specials being offered:
- 4/11: Greek cuisine featuring a Gyro Sandwich with Fries or Chips.
- 4/12: Mexican cuisine featuring a Beef Taco, Cheese Enchiladas, Rice & Beans.
- 4/13: German cuisine featuring Venison Sausage, Red Cabbage & German Potato Salad.
- 4/14: Carribean cuisine featuring Fish Tacos with a Mango Salsa, Sweet Potato Fries or Chips
- 4/15: Italian night featuring Spaghetti and Meatballs and a Dinner Salad.
- 4/16: Texan theme with BBQ Beef Ribs, Baked Beans and Potato Salad.
Call 210-822-7333 for information.