Book your reservations for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.
Christmas falls on a weekend this year, which means a great many restaurants will be closed on Dec. 25 and many are closing earlier than usual on Dec. 24. But the following will be open for special meals. Make sure you make reservations. Prices do not include tax and tip.
And have a merry Christmas.
Achiote at the Grand Hyatt, 600 E. Market St., 210-224-1234 —At Achiote, you’ll find:
- A Christmas Eve buffet from 5 to 10 p.m. with a salad station, Carved Smoked Prime Rib with Yellow Tomato Chimichurri, Horseradish Sauce and Salsa Verde as well as Pollo Verde Tomatillo Salsa, Grilled Salmon with Ancho Ginger Jus, Roasted Rosemary Red Potatoes, Rice Pilaf/Black Bean and Corn, Pork Posole, Roasted Calabasas, Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder, Homemade Tortilla Chips and Queso. A bread display and assorted desserts are also available. Cost: $20 a person plus tax and 18-percent tip.
- The Christmas Day buffet will be served noon-9 p.m. Highlights include: a salad station, Slow Roasted Strip Loin, Roasted Pork Loin, medley of roasted potatoes, wild rice pilaf, Roasted Carrot and Kabocha Soup, Togarashi Seared Mahi Mahi, Chimichurri Chicken Breast, roasted local harvest vegetables and Poblano-Garlic Creamed Corn. A bread display and assorted desserts are also available. Cost: $20 a person plus tax and 18-percent tip.
Auden’s Kitchen, 700 E. Sonterra Blvd., 210-494-0070 — Christmas Eve hours are 11 a.m.-8 p.m. with lunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and dinner from 3-8 p.m. The appetizer special will be Crispy Lobster Wontons with a sweet chili dipping sauce. For $36.95, a three-course prix-fixe will include choice of Frisee and Apple Salad with cherries and walnuts or a cup of soup; choice of Lamb Stroganoff with local mushrooms over peppered spaetzle or Cioppino with mahi mahi, shrimp, mussels, and scallops; and choice of Beignets with three sauces: Mexican chocolate, caramel with pink sea salt and clementine marmalade. All specials will be available a la carte. Closed Dec. 25-26. www.audenskitchen.com.
Biga on the Banks, 203 S. St. Mary’s St., 210-225-0722 — Christmas Eve hours are 5-8 p.m. The special menu includes the following starters: Shrimp Spring Rolls, Duck Dumpling with foie grass apples and braised cabbage, Steamed PEI Mussels with Spanish chorizo, Chicken-Fried Oysters, House Apple-Smoked Salmon Nachos, and Farmed-Raised American Transmontanous Caviar. Soups and salads include Turkey Chowder, Pear and Tangerine Salad, Warm Spinach Salad, and Baby Iceberg Lettuce. Entrees include Seared Natural Scallops, fresh catches for the day, Close-to-Bouillabaisse, Braised Veal Osso Buco, Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Roasted Game Hen with Boudin sausage risotto, 11-Spiced Texas Sika Venison and Grilled Texas Quail, and Smoky Pork Loin Chops. Dessert options include Christmas Pudding, Eggnog Creme Brulee with Santa’s favorite cookies, Chocolate Bouche de Noel, Chocolate Soufflé with candy cane anglaise, and Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream and walnuts.
Boudro’s on the River Walk, 421 E. Commerce St., 210-224-8484 — Boudro’s will be open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The holiday special includes a Christmas Salad with sour apples, spice almonds and smoked tomato piloncillo vinaigrette, black Angus rib-eye with Bordelaise, Yukon gold scalloped potato and Parmesan and cream spinach flan. Dessert is winter spiced molten chocolate cake with sugard raspberries. The cost is $38 a person. The regular dinner menu is also available. www.boudros.com
Crumpets, 3920 Harry Wurzbach, 210-821-5454 — On Christmas Eve, dinner will be served from 5:30 to 11 p.m. Chef François Maeder will be serving a holiday menu beginning with appetizer choices such as Mousse Truffle Pâté, Stuffed Artichoke or Nova Scotia Smoked Salmon and Cream of Mushroom or New England Clam Chowder soups. Entrée choices include Breast of Chicken with Montrachet Sauce, Fresh Rainbow Trout, Shrimp Lyonnaise with Wild Rice Blend, Tenderloin of Beef Savoy or Veal with Chanterelles Mushrooms and Cognac Sauce. Or try the Trilogy, which includes an appetizer, soup and house salad, Lobster Tail with Garlic Butter, Rack of Lamb and Tenderloin of Beef Rossini. www.crumpetsa.com.
Santa's helpers know what they want for dinner. Use our list to help make your plans.
Earl Abel’s, 1201 Austin Hwy., 210-822-3358 — Earl Abel’s has a busy holiday schedule:
- Christmas Eve hours will be 6:30 a.m.-11 p.m. with Christmas wassail and a series of seasonal specials, including Christmas Ham Steak, traditional roasted turkey, Rosemary and Lemon Roasted Chicken, pot roast, fried chicken, fried shrimp and Niman Ranch Top Sirloin, plus a limited menu of regular favorites.
- Earl Abel’s will be open on Christmas Day for the first time since 1965 and only the second time in its 78-year history. Hours are from 9 a.m. to noon for breakfast with the special menu served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Only the special menu will be served and will include the following entrées: Christmas Ham Steak, traditional roasted turkey, pot roast, fried chicken, fried shrimp and Niman Ranch Top Sirloin. The To Go window will be closed but to-go fried chicken orders can come into the main dining room with the cashier.
- There is a takeout menu with your choice of an 11-pound Honey-Glazed Country Ham ($160) or 23-pound Oven-Roasted Turkey ($145) with cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, cranberry relish and dinner rolls for $145. Or get half a turkey with sides ($95) and just a turkey for $90.
Frederick’s Restaurant, 7701 Broadway, 210-828-9050, and Frederick’s Bistro, 14439 N.W. Military Hwy, 210-888-1500 — The restaurants will be open for dinner only on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The special Christmas menu will include, but will not be limited to, some of the following starters: Mussel and Crab Chowder, Cherry Wine Infused Beef Consomme, Duck Foie Gras Mousse and traditional escargot. Main course options include Frederick’s Traditional Turkey, Apple Cider and Maple Syrup Glazed Christmas Ham, Beef Tenderloin, Norwegian Salmon, Gratinated Fresh Maine Lobster Thermidor and Curried Lamb Chop.
Hyatt Hill Country, 9800 Hyatt Resort Drive — The resort has two options for Christmas Day:
- Flavors of Christmas buffet in the Hill Country Ballroom will be offered Christmas Day from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Breakfast items will include eggs Benedict, an omelet station, blintzes, pecan-smoked sausage, rosemary bacon and fresh Danish. The seafood bar will have pickling, spiced and chilled shrimp, hand-shucked oysters and smoked salmon and mussels. A rustic soup and salad station will feature lobster bisque, chicken noodle, and French onion. On the butcher block: oak-smoked prime rib, espresso and maple glazed ham and citrus coriander basted tom turkey. Pasta bar, tamales with green chile sauce, pecan crusted chicken, roasted pork loin and brown buttered apples, maple roasted sweet potatoes, butter whipped potatoes, green beans and pancetta, and wild rice with dried fruit are among the other dishes. Desserts and drinks include white hot chocolate, eggnog with fresh grated nutmeg, mulled apple cider, chocolate dipped strawberry trees, chocolate croissant, spiced poached pears, ice cream and gingerbread cake, spiced chocolate truffles, pecan chocolate pie, cranberry tarts and pumpkin pie. There will be a children’s buffet, and the Joe Posada band will play light jazz. Cost is $49.95 for adults, $39.95 for seniors over 60, and $23 for children ages 5-12. Call 210-767-7999 for reservations.
- Christmas dinner in Antlers will be from 3 to 9 p.m. December 25th 3-9 p.m. The prix fixe dinner will begin with Lobster Bisque and spinach and arugala salad with red onion, walnuts, locally sourced feta, warm green apple and jalapeño bacon vinaigrette, followed by your choice of two of the following: English cut, oak smoked prime rib, Roasted Turkey Roulade with a chorizo and dried fruit stuffing, grilled Texas quail with cornbread stuffing and pan seared seasonal catch with a locally sourced honey BBQ glaze. Sides include herb roasted red potato, Hill Country grits casserole with Homestead Gristmill grits, smoked cheddar and chorizo and Roasted Brussels sprouts jalapeño bacon and roasted chestnuts. Dessert is baked “hot chocolate” with mint ice cream and Bailey’s cookie. Cost is $52 for adults, $40 for seniors over 60, and $20 for children ages 5-12. Call (210) 647-1234, ext. 51, for reservations.
Las Canarias at the Omni La Mansion del Rio, 112 College St., 210-518-1063 — The Christmas Day buffet will be served from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with omelets made to order, Applewood Smoked Bacon, country breakfast sausage, Belgian Waffles, Classic Mushroom and Gruyere Quiche, Olive Oil Fried Egg on Smoked Salmon Benedict, blintzes, Roasted Chestnut and Butternut Squash Bisque, chilled jumbo prawns, Louisiana Gulf oysters and cocktail crab claws, Smoked Trout Salad, Seared No. 1 Tuna, carving board of French charcuteriere and cheeses, handmade tortillas and gorditas, tamales, prime rib, Guinness and Honey Roasted Turkey Breast, leg of lamb, Grilled Shrimp and Texas Sausages with Shiner Bock BBQ, artisan hearth-baked breads, Chocolate Sponge Cake, Cream Cheese Cake Brulee, Lemon Shortbread Tarts and more. The cost is $68.95 a person.
Las Ramblas at the Hotel Contessa, 306 W. Market St., 210-229-9222 — The Christmas Day buffet will be 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Carving stations will feature Fruita Mustarda Rotisserie Prime Rib, Whole Roasted Duck with Orange Cognac Glaze, Rosemary Peppercorn Leg of Lamb with Cranberry Pinot Reduction and Valencian Paella Station. The main buffet will include artisan cheeses and fruit, country breads, lobster bisque, couscous salad, organic greens, Waldorf Salad, Apricot Brie Stuffed Pork Loin with Butterscotch Glaze, Kalamata Olive Bread Pudding with Asiago, roasted broccoli, shallots and cauliflower, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, apple fennel crisp, candied yams, eggs, waffles and omelets, boiled shrimp, snow crab claws, oysters, crawfish, ceviche shooters, mussel salad, and salmon, and the Pastry Chef’s Table, There will be a children’s buffet, and Santa is supposed to make an appearance. Cost: Adults, $39.95; children ages 7-16, $17.95 and children 6 and under, free.
The Lion and Rose, various locations — The locations will be open on Christmas Day with the regular menu.
Lüke on the River Walk, 125 E. Houston St., (210) 227-LUKE (5853) — Lüke will be open Christmas Day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The full menu and special à la carte holiday entrées will be available. lukesanantonio.com.
Morton’s the Steakhouse, 300 E. Crockett St., 210-228-0700 — Morton’s is open for lunch, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., on the following dates: Thursday, Friday and Dec. 20-22. There will be a limited menu plus a special prix fixe option with choice of soup or salad and entree for $35 per person. Christmas Eve hours are 5-10 p.m.
Oro at the Emily Morgan, 705 E. Houston St., 210-225-5100 — On Christmas Day, a family-style dinner will be served 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Salad will feature baby spinach with strawberries and goat cheese. The main course will be a family-style serving of chicken confit, buffalo sausage, and petite filet and sauces alongside seasonal vegetables and cranberry-studded wild rice with bacon and onions. The dessert assortment will include Tahitian vanilla bean creme brulee, bittersweet chocolate cake, tres leches with seasonal berries and cheesecake with chantilly cream. The cost is $44.95 per couple or $79.95 per four people.
Have yourself a merry Christmas dinner.
Q on the Riverwalk, Hyatt, 123 Losoya St., 210-382-6325 — At Q, two buffets are offered on Christmas Day:
- From 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., the menu will include such options as roasted peppercorn strip loin, crusted white fish, prime rib and bone-in ham, an antipasti display, baby Yukon potato salad, and more in addition to mini-chocolate pot de cremes, muesle breads, winter spiced carrot cake and eggnog shooters.
- From 5 to 10 p.m., the Christmas dinner menu will feature roasted peppercorn strip loin, crusted white fish, and achiote-roasted pork shoulder as well as antipasti display, baby Yukon potato salad, and more in addition to muesle breads, baguettes, Texas berry buckles, spiced carrot cake and eggnog shooters.
Scenic Loop Cafe, 25615 Boerne Stage Road, 210-687-1818 — Christmas Eve hours will be 11 a.m.-8 p.m. with a limited menu. Christmas Day brings a holiday buffet from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The Westin La Cantera, 16641 La Cantera Parkway, 210-558-2439 — A host of holiday happenings are going on at the Westin. At 5 p.m. daily, guests are guided around the property by the storyteller, Bandera Cowboy Makin’ Dust, who sings and tells holiday stories while introducing the lores and legends of La Cantera. The program concludes with snow magically falling from the sky as the choir begins to sing a holiday song at the top of Plaza San Saba. Santa’s Workshop, which runs through Dec. 24, is a place where guests can take a photo with Santa, make a holiday toy or decorate cookies with the elves. Some charges may apply. Brannon’s Holiday Feast is served family style from 5 to 10 p.m. each evening. Lunch beginning at 11 a.m. will be added Dec. 17 and continue day and night through Dec. 25. Entrees include honey-glazed ham and grilled top sirloin with buttermilk biscuits, rosemary-roasted red bliss potatoes and sautéed green beans, plus warm chocolate molten cakes for dessert. Cost: $18 for adults; $12 for children. free for children 5 and younger. Minimum two people required. For more on holidays at the resort, visit www.westinlacantera.com/holidays.html
Restaurateurs, if your restaurant is not included in this list, please email details to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will update the file as soon as we can.